Saturday, March 9, 2019

Meet Denis Feehan from Mesquite, Nevada


After retiring from aerospace, Denis Feehan  found time to devote to his passion, writing poetry and short stories. He lives in Mesquite, Nevada and joined Utah State Poetry several years ago as an At Large member. Active in music and writing, he loves to write poetry and fiction. Serving as President of Heritage Writers Guild, a chapter of the League of Utah writers located in St. George, Utah, Denis keeps busy. He recently entered the Chaparral contest-part of Redrock Writers' annual seminar and received 3rd prize recognition in the Chimera Division for his humorous poem A Very Mary Christmas. He has won awards at the annual Mesquite Fine Arts annual poetry and art contest where poets enter poems and artists select a poem as inspiration for their artwork as well as awards and publishing of his poetry from the League of Utah Writers.

TRASH DAY TUESDAY
  
The sound of thunder
like a tank brigade
forced my eyelids open
wide revealing my panic
It was Trash Day Tuesday!
and the bulging, sated cans
were still locked in the back
like felons serving five to ten

I checked the bedside clock
as if that neon dial mattered now
fact was the sun was up
and the tanks were here
I flew out of bed
like an F-18
with the wife yelling at me
as if that was gonna help

The concrete porch was glacial
on my sissy bare feet
how do penguins do it?
I ran like a football player
through a row of prostrate tires
to the grass oasis out front
but it was just as arctic
as the porch and wet to boot

I slipped as I right-turned
but got right up on my icebergs
and dashed to the side of our base
but the clock and I had failed
the thunder had waned
and the wife was pointing at
the tanks as they turned the corner
to do battle on the next block

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to comment. Your ideas are important. You can leave a comment as anonymous. All comments will be moderated before being published.