Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Meet ERIC READ of Ben Lomond Chapter


Born in Nebraska into a family of eight children, Eric Read enlisted in the Army right after high school graduation. For the next 20 years, he roamed around the world going first to Germany and France, then a tour in Italy followed by two tours in Vietnam, and another tour in Germany. When his military career was over, he worked for the Pocatello Post office retiring in 2001. His earliest memory of writing poetry is while he was on his first tour in Vietnam. Honing his craft came after he moved to Brigham City and joined the Ben Lomond Poets. Eric says, Clarence Socwell, La Von Carroll and others too numerous to mention have helped him grow as a poet. A member of UTSPS since 2004, Eric currently serves as our treasurer (second time), has been our president, Chapters Coordinator, and served as treasurer for Ben Lomond Poets for several years. He feels that the association of the many members in UTSPS has helped him become a better poet. 
Winter Night Solitude
    The night is darkening round me,
    The wild winds coldly blow;
    But a tyrant spell has bound me
    And I cannot, cannot go.  Emily Bronte
The sound of wind disturbs my sleep,
its moaning awakening old memories.
Limbs brush against cabin walls -
scratching, scraping.
Wrapped in my blanket, I stir the coals

and build up the fire.
 

Ghosts arise in the flames,
dancing with the wind. For a moment
your face appears, and a finger of flame
beckons me to join you.
I slowly succumb to forces I cannot
resist. Closer, closer to the flames.


The door crashes open, startling me. |
When I turn back, you are gone.
Like the trees obscured by falling snow,
you vanish in the night wind.

Eric H. Read

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to comment. Your ideas are important. You can leave a comment as anonymous. All comments will be moderated before being published.